Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] The Case For UNIX NB Cell Server ...

2005-09-30 12:45:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] The Case For UNIX NB Cell Server ...
From: Charles Ballowe <cballowe AT gmail DOT com> (Charles Ballowe)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:45:12 -0500
A case for a windows master in an environment that is primarily
windows and has a well structured domain/AD environment would be the
ability to push clients. If your environment is primarily unix, that
case fails. Unfortunately, that's not much of a case -- the throughput
and reliability of unix servers really does outweigh the small
benefits of being able to push clients, not to mention scripting and
reporting capabilities.

Also -- don't forget that if you have more machines to increase I/O
you need more tape drives ... if you have more tape drives, you also
have additional drive, SSO, and potentially vault licenses. Not to
mention SAN infrastructure etc -- fewer servers really is better.

-Charlie