Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Help with connectivity problems to NetBackup 5.1MP3a and Windows 2000/3 clients

2005-09-28 10:45:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Help with connectivity problems to NetBackup 5.1MP3a and Windows 2000/3 clients
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman (home))
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:45:39 -0500
Kathryn-

I must respectfully disagree with your generalization below:

"To my knowledge, NetBackup 5.* and NetBackup 4.* binaries
are only compatible with regards to server-initiated operations."

The NBU "mixed version" compatibility does not exclude client-initiated
operations.  My master server is 5.1MP3 and I have a 4.5 FP7 client.  I
have no problem running "bpbackup" or a "bprestore" from that 4.5 FP7
client.

A caveat that DOES apply to mixed revisions is with a 5.x feature that
requires a client also running NBU 5.x.

For example, I can enable the checkpoint restart for backups feature
(because my master is 5.1), but a backup job of my 4.5 client will not
be able to use that feature.  (a suspended or failed job will always
have to restart from the beginning)

HTH
rob

p.s. what sort of error do you see when you try a user-initiated
operation on a back-rev client?