Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Linux RH3 restores

2005-09-27 08:26:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Linux RH3 restores
From: bluejay AT fujigreenwood DOT com (Adametz, Bluejay)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 08:26:14 -0400
> We are rather new to Redhat 3 and have never had to do a complete
> rebuild of a server. Do you guru's have any thoughts, hints and
> instructions? We discovered early on it is nothing like a rebuild of a
> Windows server.

If you install a Netbackup client on a live-CD Linux such as Knoppix, you
can effectively do a bare-metal restore:

1. Boot the CD and get on the network as a client your Netbackup servers
will recognize.
2. Partition, mke2fs, and mount your disks.
3. Restore all the files.
4. Set up grub.
5. Boot your recovered system.

You could even write a script to do all this.

It's WAY easier than Windows.

                                                - Bluejay Adametz

Don't think of organ donations as giving up part of yourself to
keep a total stranger alive.  It's really a total stranger giving
up almost all of themselves to keep part of you alive.