Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] command line reporting

2005-09-22 21:08:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] command line reporting
From: asoprano AT comcast DOT net (asoprano)
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:08:52 -0400
I run some custom reporting and some of the commands I use to track backups
are:

Bpdbjobs -M <master>
Returns current job monitor data.  If a job is deleted from the monitor by a
user, it won't be reported here (this may have changed in a new version, not
sure)

Bpimagelist -M <master> -hoursago 24 | grep IMAGE
Will return an entry for each backup started within 24 hours.  If jobs run
longer, set the -hoursago to a higher number.  You can also use -d (for a
start date) and -e (for an end date) instead of the -hoursago.

Bperror -M <master> -hoursago 24 -all (not sure if that's the right word
(-all) to get them, check the --help)
Will return all the error data from the past 24 hours, including media, job,
and nbu internal messages.
Also a useful flag is -backstats for job exit codes.

Vmoprcmd -H <mediaservername> -status (?)
This will return device status: up, down, media id, etc.  Parse and log the
output for device trend info.

Bpconfig
This returns things like max active jobs, scheduler wake up interval, etc.

Bpsynchinfo
Reports status of catalog backups, and path entries.  Very useful if you
need to recover from a nbu database failure, knowing the tape name of the
catalog tapes.  I suggest using tape id's like XYZ000 and XYZ001 so they are
easy to spot/remember.  Storing this info on a second computer or on paper
is helpful too.

If you can parse the output of the above commands you can make a reporting
webpage, and even import the bpimagelist information in to a database for
historical reporting.  I wouldn't rely on bpdbjobs output for historical
info on successful backups (GB's a day, etc).  Also, if you ever get a
second master emailing reports will not be easy if you want combined
reporting.  Plan on using an administrative netbackup install for report
querying.

HTH,
AS