Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] File written to disk during the backup ... does it get backed up?

2005-09-15 18:08:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] File written to disk during the backup ... does it get backed up?
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:08:46 -0500
--Kj7319i9nmIyA2yE

* Mike Day <mike.day AT inovis DOT com> [2005-09-15 12:44]:
>=20
> This involves database dumps and transaction logs.  I just ran into a
> case where the DBA said his Oracle extract was still in progress when
> the backup was working and the transaction log that was dumped to disk
> during the backup may have been deleted by my bpend_notify script.  We
> did not find the transaction file in the backup nor on the disk so I can
> only assume that the script deleted the file.  If that's the case is
> there any easy way to have my bpend_notify script only delete the files
> that were backed up?

Don't use bpend_notify to do the delete, especially if you are deleting
everything in a directory. You may want to consider using a
User-Initiated backup instead and running a script on the client to
manage the process. you could also use bparchive from the client which
will remove only files that have been backed up successfully.

There are pros and cons to each option.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com