Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] command line reporting

2005-09-13 13:02:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] command line reporting
From: Dwayne.Brzozowski AT mail.va DOT gov (Brzozowski, Dwayne)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:02:40 -0500
I have heard people mention Aptare before. It probably would be a good tool
to use. The problem is, I don't have the time to install,configure, and
support another tool of that nature. Maybe one day...
Anyway, I finally wrote a script a while back for reporting. We have a
multitude of various customers and separate each customer's policy by a 4
letter, somewhat of a code that begins their policy name. That way, I can
run my script for reporting and parse each customer report by the 4 letter
descriptor in the policy, and send output to each customer every morning
before I even get out of bed. They like the output so I'm happy.
I've included some of the output from the report produced by my script, with
explanations.

I changed the policy names to xxx. By VA rules, I can't provide that
information to the public. The SERVER names have also been changed. Any
status code, other than 0 or 71 automatically products NB explanation, since
this exact report is mailed to all customers.

This is what my ouput looks like:

Tue Sep 13 07:30:00 CDT 2005

STATUS CLIENT        POLICY           SCHED      SERVER          TIME
COMPLETED
  0    client         xxx                 Full_Infin NBserver
09/12/2005 08:01:40
  0    client         xxx                 Full_Infin NBserver
09/12/2005 09:17:48
  0    client         xxx                 Full_Infin NBserver
09/12/2005 09:18:22
 41    ckient         xxx             Diff_Infin NBMaster       09/12/2005
09:23:31

The status code 41 means:
network connection timed out
The server did not receive any information from the client for too long a
period of time.

-djb