Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Expansion bay for L700

2005-09-30 19:22:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Expansion bay for L700
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com (william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com)
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 00:22:23 +0100
Indeed, we had to write a script to "suspend" tapes from each night's
backup so they don't keep being written to.  Otherwise the current tape
(for that retention period) was likely to be in use, so did not get
offsited the next day.  If you have Vault, it is a built-in option,
otherwise you have to script it.

This is a one-off task though - so I would not use too much time on it.
NBU will know which tapes are expired and so reusable, do you really need
to fill the empty slots with "expiring soon" tapes?

Otherwise I would suggest using just a list of expired media, even if you
have to spend a week or two producing new lists until you hit steady
state.

Big libraries are for people who don't offsite....because the library is
already offsite.   The rest of us use lots of drives and White Van Man to
offsite the tapes the next day.

William D L Brown