Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Best method to check when a box was successfully backed up?

2005-08-25 12:37:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Best method to check when a box was successfully backed up?
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:37:05 -0500
On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 08:55:45AM -0400, Piszcz, Justin wrote:
> I know I can utilize various bp* commands as well as a bpreport.pl
> script I found in the archive mailing lists.
>
> But on a per-client basis, what is the best way to determine *when* the
> last successful (full or incremental) backup occurred?
>
> Client = boxA
>
> $ ./command -switches boxA
>
> boxA last full backup was successful on August 24th, it started at
> 8:00pm and ended at 10pm

# cat /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/boxA/STREAMS
or grep the file looking for the mount point you're interested in.
e.g.
[root@osiris corpftp.bck.mrll.com]# grep cust3 STREAMS
9 1122836458 stptape2ms-unix Monthly 0,0,2419200 0 0 /cust3
9 1124665173 stptape2ms-unix Weekly 0,0,604800 0 0 /cust3
9 1124930089 stptape2ms-unix Daily 1,0,86400 0 0 /cust3

[root@osiris corpftp.bck.mrll.com]# bpdbm -ctime 1124930089
1124930089 = Wed Aug 24 19:34:49 2005

So now I now that /cust3 started its last daily at 19:34 last night.
We don't have the finish times but you do have the advantage of going
back many months for file systems that aren't backed up very frequently.

Ideally you would use a product like Aptare's StorageConsole.  With it,
I get the exact information you're looking for.  Given a host, I can
very quickly find all the backups done in a certain period, get the
start and finish times, number of files, megabytes, exit code, etc.

Cheers,
        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA