Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Fast backup to tape but slow backup to disk on NBU

2005-08-23 08:32:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Fast backup to tape but slow backup to disk on NBU
From: pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:32:00 -0400
Ok...I'm guessing this is your max jobs on your server/clients.

How many staging units do you have?

Problem is, I have a lot of slow clients......if I set mpx to 1, it
would take forever to back them up, sequentially.
In some cases, I've got 8+ machines going to one tape drive, and the
bottleneck is still the clients pushing the data (old sun boxes with
100mb/s ethernet and old disk arrays with small slow disks.), but I
don't want the mpx'ing higher than that.

With the number of these clients, I would need to cut my storage up into
a LOT of small DSSUs, and the smaller the DSSU, the more difficult it is
to manage...

Paul