Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: NB4.5 MP6 Disk storage unit limitation?

2005-08-22 15:31:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: NB4.5 MP6 Disk storage unit limitation?
From: kfhemness AT ucdavis DOT edu (Kathryn Hemness)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:31:32 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Joe --

I had to install a bunch of patches to get full multi-terabyte
support on my Solaris box back in early April.  Here's what the Sun
engineer told me:

(This was cut and pasted from an email to me, I only edited it for readability).

Solaris 9 version 8/03 has this functionality:  It can handle "disks" up
to 16TB in size, and filesystems of the same size.  This functionality
requires running the 64-bit kernel.

In Sol 9 the cyl, hd and sec parameters were increased to 65535.

But using anything above 65535 cyl, 64 hd and 512 sec breaks format.
So, with those values we arrive at about 1Tb disk size.

This option is available on a man page for solaris 9 8/03 (Update4) or higher.

#newfs -T /dev/.../.../....

Also the following patches need to be installed for
multi-terabyte support:

113277-06 (or newer) sd & ssd patch114127-01 (or newer) abi_libefi.so.1 patch
114128-01 (or newer) sd_lun patch
114131-01 (or newer) libadm.so.1 patch
113981-02 (or newer) devfsadm patch
114132-01 (or newer) fmthard patch
113072-03 (or newer) format patch
114369-01 (or newer) prtvtoc patch
113049-01 (or newer) luxadm & liba5k.so.2 Patch
115026-01 (or newer) Multiterabyte UFS file system maintenance tools
114129-01 (or newer) Multi-terabyte disk support -libuuid patch
115030-01 (or newer) Multiterabyte UFS - patch mount
113454-14 (or newer) security ufs ufs_idle_qufs_idle_some ufs_idle_drain nfs
dirent.h

Solaris 9 Update 4 has introduced a Multiterabyte ufs.  Individual file
size is still the same as before (~1Tb), because increasing it would
require redical on-disk format changes. But, the total filesystem size can
now be up to 16Tb.  Newfs -T is used to create such a filesystem. See the
newfs(1M) manpage for additional information. There is also a
limit of 1 million files per TB (ie. 4Tb ufs would have a 4 million
files limit). This is done to keep fsck times reasonable (even when
logging is enabled).

Multiterabyte ufs functionality can also be added to earlier releases of
Solaris 9 via ufs patch 113454-09 or later.  See the Special Install
Instructions in the patch README for a list of additional patches required
to get the full Multiterabyte functionality.

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:16:39 -0500
> From: Joe Muldoon <muldoonj AT gmail DOT com>
> To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
> Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB4.5 MP6 Disk storage unit limitation?
>
> ------=_Part_1075_2300581.1124730999977
>
> Is there a size limit on filesystems used for disk storage units? I have a=
> =20
> fs with 6TB dedicated to Netbackup, but it seems like when it hits around=
> =20
> the 2TB mark, backups start failing with status 41 errors. Also, if I try=
> =20
> manually running jobs when the fs is over this threshold, they just sit=20
> Active, but no data is moving to the disk. They just never kick off.
>
> So, I expired some images, got the fs under 2TB, and now the jobs kicked of=
> f=20
> just fine.
>
> What's the deal? Is there a 2TB fs limit on Disk Storage Units in NB4.5?
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe
>
> PS. The disk is Overland REO 9000 SATA, the master server is Solaris 9=20
> running SDS with UFS filesystems, and we're at MP6.
>
> ------=_Part_1075_2300581.1124730999977
>
> Is there a size limit on filesystems used for disk storage units? I
> have a fs with 6TB dedicated to Netbackup, but it seems like when it
> hits around the 2TB mark, backups start failing with status 41 errors.
> Also, if I try manually running jobs when the fs is over this
> threshold, they just sit Active, but no data is moving to the disk.
> They just never kick off.<br>
> So, I expired some images, got the fs under 2TB, and now the jobs kicked of=
> f just fine.<br>
> What's the deal? Is there a 2TB fs limit on Disk Storage Units in NB4.5?<br=

> Thanks<br>
> Joe<br>
> PS. The disk is Overland REO 9000 SATA, the master server is Solaris 9 runn=
> ing SDS with UFS filesystems, and we're at MP6. <br>

- kathy