Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Question regarding Media Servers

2005-08-16 13:41:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Question regarding Media Servers
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:41:08 -0500
On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 01:28:59PM -0400, Piszcz, Justin wrote:
> I currently have two master servers.  One is local, one is remote.
>
> I plan on making the remote master a media server and managing it from
> the local master server. As I understand it, the catalog information is
> stored on the media server for the clients that reside under it.

This is incorrect.  The catalog information is always stored on the
master server.  When you convert your master to a media, you will lose
the catalog.  Similarly, the policies are all stored on the master
server.

The media server currently is responsible for managing the tapes that it
has written, not the catalog.

> Are there any special caveats I need to know about when converting the
> master server to be a media server?

You need to decide what to do about the catalog data.  You could
import the tapes on your current master but this could be a very
time-consuming process.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org