Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Bpbackup - file "shrunk by nnnn bytes, padding with zeroes"

2005-08-16 07:53:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Bpbackup - file "shrunk by nnnn bytes, padding with zeroes"
From: M.W.Ellwood AT rl.ac DOT uk (Ellwood, MW (Mike))
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:53:53 +0100
Anyone know what this means?

22:10:13 ERR - File /ora/prod/oradata2/data/bud_tab_02.dbf shrunk by
199754240 bytes, padding with zeros

This is with bpbackup for 3.4GA (old, I know ...).

Oddly enough we were running a parallel backup on another server of the
same data (we do this all the time and it works fine),
 which ran perfectly.

We've been having some tape issues (this is LTO-1 in a Sun-branded L20
robot) on the server where we got the above message.
There is no direct evidence to finger the tape system here, as far as I
can see (nothing in /var/adm/messages, etc).

This is on a Sun V880 platform running Solaris 5.8.

With thanks,

Mike Ellwood