Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fast backup to tape but slow backup to disk on NBU 5.1MP3

2005-08-10 12:43:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fast backup to tape but slow backup to disk on NBU 5.1MP3
From: mclausen AT csit.fsu DOT edu (Matt Clausen)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:43:39 -0400
Anyone run into this? I've gotten my tape performance tuned pretty well
under NetBackup 5.1 MP3 where I'm seeing about 10,000-12,000KB/s on each
of my 6 tape drives even when doing a multi-streamed backup from a
single server. Yet when I do a backup to disk, I see decent performance
on one stream (about 8,000KB/s or so) but the other streams will drop to
around 300-500KB/s.

I've tweaked my buffers some following some recommendations I got off
the Veritas website:

NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS = 16
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK = 16

SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS = 262144
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK = 1048576

and I see this performance on both the master server disk pool AND a
media server disk pool. The master server is a VxVM concat volume set of
3x73GB 10,000RPM disks and the media server is an external raid 5 volume
of 16x250GB SATA disks. I'm kinda stumped as to how to even go about
trying to figure out how to fix/improve the performance on this. I
figured that I'd be seeing the opposite where I have good performance on
my disk drives and not so good performance on my tape drives.