Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Veritas-bu digest, Vol 1 #4229 - 6 msgs

2005-08-06 17:00:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Veritas-bu digest, Vol 1 #4229 - 6 msgs
From: kfhemness AT ucdavis DOT edu (Kathryn Hemness)
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 14:00:57 -0700 (PDT)
NetBackup doesn't handle multiple disk storage or disk-staging storage
units very well.  I think you'll need to set the full storage unit
to be "on demand only" to avoid NetBackup directing  backups to it.

I started out with 3 1TB disk storage units, testing both disk-staging
and regular disk storage units.  I backup about 2TB daily.  I played
around with directing certain types/sizes of backups to specific
storage units.  Nothing worked for me.

Next, I tried striping the disks to make one large storage unit.
I found that I could get "fair" backup writing speeds with 10 concurrent
backups, but if I attempted to stage diskimages to tape while backups
were written to the disk, then the disk write speed dropped dramatically
and the disk read speeds dropped to 200KB/sec.  So my storage unit
still filled up faster than I could empty it.

My current configuration is 1 master server with 2 7TB storage arrays
and a 3-drive LTO2 library.  Each storage array is an on-demand-only
storage unit.  Every day, I have a script which sets all of my backup policies
to use the empty storage array while I stage the diskimages to tape from
the full storage array.  My CPU is pegged during backup windows because
the disk writes for each backup (bpdm) takes up about 1.3% of the cpu
and I'm running 24 concurrent backups.  Disk write speeds during peak
backup windows fluctuate between 2000KB/sec and 9000KB/sec; disk reads
from the non-backup storage unit during peak backup windows are
1500-4000KB/sec.

Wish I had better news for you.

--kathy