Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: Drive cleaning (Veritas-bu digest, Vol 1 #4219)

2005-08-03 06:02:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: Drive cleaning (Veritas-bu digest, Vol 1 #4219)
From: Mark.Hickey AT hds DOT com (Mark Hickey)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 03:02:57 -0700

Pablo,
  Tim mentions a couple of possibilities for how to get the drives cleaned.
Here are a couple of others.  After you get the tape properly added to Media
Manager (the media manager display shows the tape as a DLT cleaning tape),
you can clean by library, frequency, manually (as Tim described), or
possibly by TapeAlert.  Library-based cleaning should only clean when the
drive indicates it is dirty, but does not alert NBU when the cleaner needs
to be changed. Frequency-based cleaning is integrated into NBU (an option on
either the drive settings or on the cleaning tape - I forget), but may
result in over-cleaning, shortening drive lifespan.  Manual cleaning is,
well, manual.  TapeAlert, if the library and drive support it, is integrated
into NBU, and will only clean the drives when needed.

Mark

Message: 1