Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas Upgrade Pre-Planning & Stress Testing

2005-07-07 20:34:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas Upgrade Pre-Planning & Stress Testing
From: tech2187 AT yahoo DOT com (K Chapman)
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 17:34:16 -0700 (PDT)
--- briandiven AT northwesternmutual DOT com wrote:

> I was wondering how most people do upgrades.  Do you
> have a separate test environment to test the
> functionality of a new release?  How well does it
> mimic your production environment?  Does anyone have
> any idea regarding how to do stress testing once the
> functionality testing is done?  Has anyone created
> any scripts or scenario's to do load stress testing
> using the new functionality.
>
> I am cautious about going into the NBU 6.x release
> with out being able to load/stress test the new
> functions, new catalog, etc.
>
> Brian Diven
> Team Lead - Backup/Recovery
> Northwestern Mutual
> (414) 661-6123

we use a seperate env for testing.  we dont load test
as much as make sure we dont break what currently
works for us (scripts, backup/restore, verification,
duplication).  we attempt to have every client type in
a test area (unix, windows, vms, exchange, notes,
mssql, oracle, sharepoint) and make sure things work
before and after upgrades at the server level
(maintain old client ver) and upgrades to both client
and server.  feature testing is also done if we are
planning on using those new features.

Sell on Yahoo! Auctions ? no fees. Bid on great items.
http://auctions.yahoo.com/