Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] multiple storage units in one robot

2005-06-29 18:22:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] multiple storage units in one robot
From: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com> (Dean)
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:22:22 +1000
------=_Part_8045_28735346.1120083742397

Paul,

You certainly can create multiple st-units in one library. You *have to* if=
=20
you have more than one drive type in there.

But your second point won't work. You don't "bind" a drive to a st-unit. Yo=
u=20
just define the *maximum* number of drives that st-unit can use. So if you=
=20
have a st-unit with max-drives =3D 15, but 20 identical drives in the libra=
ry,=20
the st-unit could use *any* of those drives, up to 15 at a maximum.

If your total st-unit drives is greater than the physical drives available,=
=20
the 20th job will just sit in the queue until one of the other 19 active=20
jobs completes, regardless of which st-unit it is going to. If you have 15=
=20
drives in use in the PROD st-unit, and 4 in the DEV st-unit, if the top job=
=20
in the queue is a DEV job, once a drive in the PROD st-unit is freed up, it=
=20
will be "grabbed" for the DEV st-unit.

So giving all your PROD policies a high job priority will help achieve what=
=20
you want, but it won't always work.

Cheers
Dean

On 6/29/05, Paul Keating <pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca> wrote:
>=20
> I don't have the resources available to try to set this up and test right=
=20
> now, but I was wondering,
> In a given robot with 20 drives, could I create two storage units, a=20
> Production unit configured with "max concurrent drives used for backup" s=
et=20
> to 15 drives and a dev/QA unit set to 5?
>  In the case where a drive goes DOWN that was in use by the PROD unit, an=
d=20
> there were no drives in use from the DEV unit, would the PROD unit pick u=
p=20
> an additional drive, and then when DEV jobs kick off again, it would only=
=20
> have 5 drives available?=20
>  Paul

------=_Part_8045_28735346.1120083742397

Paul,<br>
You certainly can create multiple st-units in one library. You *have to* if=
 you have more than one drive type in there.<br>
But your second point won't work. You don't &quot;bind&quot; a drive to a
st-unit. You just define the *maximum* number of drives that st-unit
can use. So if you have a st-unit with max-drives =3D 15, but 20
identical drives in the library, the st-unit could use *any* of those
drives, up to 15 at a maximum.<br>
If your total st-unit drives is greater than the physical drives
available, the 20th job will just sit in the queue until one of the
other 19 active jobs completes, regardless of which st-unit it is going
to. If you have 15 drives in use in the PROD st-unit, and 4 in the DEV
st-unit, if the top job in the queue is a DEV job, once a drive in the
PROD st-unit is freed up, it will be &quot;grabbed&quot; for the DEV st-uni=
t.<br>
So giving all your PROD policies a high job priority will help achieve what=
 you want, but it won't always work.<br>
Cheers<br>
Dean<br>
me">Paul Keating</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT
ca">=
pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote
class=3D"gm=
ail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt =
0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

resources available to try to set this up and test right now, but I was=20
with 20 drives, could I create two storage units, a Production&nbsp;unit=20
configured with &quot;max concurrent drives used for backup&quot; set to 15=
 drives and a=20
drive goes DOWN that was in use by&nbsp;the PROD unit, and there were no dr=
ives=20
in use from the DEV unit, would&nbsp;the&nbsp;PROD unit&nbsp;pick up an=20
additional drive, and then when DEV jobs kick off again, it would only have=
 5=20

------=_Part_8045_28735346.1120083742397--