Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Master to Media server ratio

2005-06-28 22:46:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Master to Media server ratio
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:46:06 -0500
--Q68bSM7Ycu6FN28Q

* Geyer, Gregory <Gregory.Geyer AT Avnet DOT com> [2005-06-28 14:33]:
> David,
>=20
> Actually 30 of the media servers back themselves up only.  So in truth
> we have 2 media servers (one is the master) for 400 clients.  We also
> have the 9940B tape drives, we like them and have 15 of them.  Would
> like more.  How many do you employ?

That sounds a bit more reasonable, although having production systems be
media server has proven to be a maintenance PITA when things go wrong.
There are too many things with NetBackup that force a reboot to clean
them up, especially when SSO makes the server go insane.

In the largest environment we have 26 9940Bs and a Quantum DX100
presenting 18 Virtual drives.=20

> How many active backups do you have at a time?  We're processing roughly
> 3.5-9.5 TB of data per day, averaging about 5.3TB and 1900 jobids.  The

We are dealing with roughly the same amount of data in the environment.
One customer does 5TB over the weekend all by themselves, and we have
another 18 customers in the environment with them.

We had a point in time where the number of jobs in the Activity monitor
for a 4 day period topped 30,000. We have been able to rearchitect a
number of our backups so we are dealing with about 7,000 for the same
period.=20

> master/media and network media server are both HPUX 11i boxes that
> aren't taxed as far as CPU or memory goes (unless you deal with shared
> memory).  IO is a problem since we send the network backups to disk for
> disk-staging and we went cheapo on those drives (SCSI STK Bladestore).
>=20
> I notice a big load makes the admin console unusable for the operators.
> I'm also getting shared memory errors on bpsched on the master of late
> (well only once, but that's enough) because of the number of jobs
> running. =20

We had evidence of similar issues with memory and put in various tunings
=66rom Veritas that have helped the performance of the environment quite a
bit.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com