Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] [NBU5.1MP3 W2K3] communication errors

2005-06-17 21:39:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] [NBU5.1MP3 W2K3] communication errors
From: Eric.Ljungblad AT CopleyPress DOT com (Eric Ljungblad)
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 18:39:57 -0700
Can you ping all of the clients for a couple of minutes from the master
and media servers using the names / ip's specified in the backup
policy's?

Can you ping all of the media servers from the master server for a few
minutes using their configured names / ip's?

Is there a firewall limiting socket's?

Might try selecting No Callback for the media servers and clients
In the Master server Properties - Client Attributes / add clients and
select No Callback.  We had this problem with a few clients.
The no callback resolved that socket issue.  Not sure why but Veritas
suggested it and it worked.

IS using the bpclntcmd command from clients / media and master servers
Working ok?

We have a mixture of NIC's and Networks.  Basically one DNS server that
resolves all the IP's for a Private and public network. On our private /
backup network no DNS is used, our Public NIC resolves the names and
IP's
For the backup lan and then the backup nic accesses the clients and the
backup lan via IP and static IP on the clients backup NIC's. NO wins or
DNS
Servers specified on the backup NIC's just static IP's.  We have no
problems
Using it that way.  Example:  If the name of a client is Condor we add 2
entries in the DNS table - Condor "Public IP number"  Condor-P "Private
IP number"  Then in Veritas we backup Condor-P over the backup NIC. Just
adding
The -P for private seems to work well in Veritas, we also immediately
know
What Clients are on the backup / private lan by the name hence: -P.
It still uses the public NIC to resolve the IP address of the Private
NIC.
Seems to work OK.

OK site for event ID's for Windows.
http://eventid.net/