Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exclusion Lists

2005-06-13 13:39:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exclusion Lists
From: jbenson AT neurome DOT com (Jon D. Benson)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:39:49 -0700
Jamison, Tory wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody have a list of exclusions that I can look at to build a
> robust "exclude list"? I realize everybody has different needs and
> what's trash to one is treasure to another but I am trying to avoid
> backups that are only "partially successful" due to open files. I
> inherited this backup system and the previous administrator didn't use
> many exclusions. Now, management wants backup status reports daily and
> they are concerned about the open file errors popping up in my report.
> I've started adding the usual suspects but I would like to get this all
> tidied up quickly rather than stomp these files as new ones come up
> everyday. I looked through Veritas support but didn't have much luck.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Tory Jamison
>

> This message is intended for the use of the individual/entity to whom it
> is addressed. This message may contain privileged information exempt
> from disclosure. If you are not the addressee, distribution or copying
> of this message, or dissemination of the information contained herein,
> is strictly prohibited. If you should receive this message in error,
> please destroy it, or return to sender. Thank You.

One way to do this is build your own exclusion lists based on your
particular environment -- I run a "problems" script each morning that
will list out the errors from the last 24hours. In it you can find the
files that give your Status 1 jobs.  My script is built around bperror as:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bperror -U -problems -hoursago 24

--
Jon D. Benson
Network Systems Administrator