Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SDLT or LTO

2005-06-02 15:10:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SDLT or LTO
From: BZERMENO AT intersil DOT com (Zermeno, Brandon (Contractor))
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 15:10:40 -0400
I am looking to get some real world opinions about SDLT 600's and LTO-3
drives. We currently have 2 ATL P3000 robots with 325 tapes each. One
for the Win side and 1 for the Unix side. The Win robot has 8 SDLT 220
drives; the Unix side has 4 220's and 5 DLT 7000's. When I run the
numbers it looks like I can run 5 LTO-3 drives and backup both Unix and
Win in a much shorter time. My full backups run Friday night till Monday
morning. Last week it was 13 TB total. With LTO-3's I should be able to
run my Full's in about 7 hours. That is much better then the 30+ hours
it takes now! That kind of window would really help in a DR situation.
Last year we evacuated 3 times and it would have been a nightmare to try
and restore that much data on so many tapes using 4 SDLT 220 drives that
we have in DR. With this speed we could run Full backups before we left
the building. What are the thoughts out there?

Brandon Zermeno
Senior Systems Analyst
Server Security Operations
Intersil Corporation