Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] About catalog backups...

2005-05-17 02:06:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] About catalog backups...
From: Eric.Ljungblad AT CopleyPress DOT com (Eric Ljungblad)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 23:06:40 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C55AA6.97EE36EF

 1st. If using tape soley then use the catalog wizard and 2 tapes in the
     netbackup pool - specifing the alternate tape numbers to write to,
     after each scheduled backup, user or manual write the ctalaog to =
tape
     alternating from tape to tape. Specify barcodes and rules so that=20
     these tapes go automatically to the netbackup pool and get at least
     10 of these tapes.

2nd. The best way is to create a Directory on your local file system to=20
     support a backup of your Catalog as well as tape and alternate.=20
     Right click on catalog and configure it to write to a disk area as
     an alternate loction then backup that location religously.
     Call the alternate dir Veritas_5.0 - HOLD FOR 6 MONTHS. OR once=20
     a week for 3 months or 1once a  month for a year or Forever once=20
     a year.   =20
3rd. Setup a media pool called veritas_5.0, backup just that directory =
with
     hold days what you want.=20
Use a seperate media pool called Veritras_5.0.
     Setup a barcode rule for Veitas tapes to move to Veritas_5.0
     Most people might say why backup the disk area after a catalog =
backup, thats to avoid write over and the abaility to bprecover then use =
the backup tape of disk to restore the old catalog to disk then =
bprecover from disk to set Veritas back on track the way it was that day =
of the Veritas backup of the disk backup of the catalog. Make sense, I =
guess not but when I needed to know what happened 3 months ago I used =
the current catalog backup with a Varitas backup of the disk area on a =
backup system to see what was what at that date in old time?