Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO2 stuck tape

2005-05-04 09:58:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO2 stuck tape
From: pcd AT xinupro DOT com (Peter DrakeUnderkoffler)
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 09:58:26 -0400
Dan Logcher wrote:

> Paul Keating wrote:
>
>> Anyone had any issues?
>>
>> back when I was using DLT7000 drives, we had the Dude from Quantum in
>> every couple of weeks to extract a stuck tape, or reset a "swallowed
>> leader".
>>
>> I've been using these LTO2 drives since July for testing, and since
>> November in production, and for the first time, a drive went down and
>> when I "upped" the drive in the GUI, it went back down.....there's a
>> tape in the drive....can't reset the drive, powercycling the drive
>> does nothing...the drive is not responding.....(SAN attached to two
>> different servers....same message on both)
>>

>> Any trick for freeing the tape other than calling STK?
>

> Paul,
> Powercycling the drive has worked most of the time.  If there
> are red lights on the front of the drive, you need to call in
> to STK to have them remove and possible replace the drive.
>
> Once I had a tape snap the leader spindle off with 1/4 the tape
> in the drive.  It shredded the tape completely.  I've had a few
> other tapes almost snap, and had to be removed by STK.  I did not
> return the tapes to use.

If you've paid for a support contract with STK, then get your money's
worth and use it.  Sometimes
a stuck tape is the media but it could also be the drive.  Replacing the
drive removes that
underlying sense that you don't feel 100% confident that it won't happen
again.  If you
don't have a support contract, that's tougher.  I had an LTO drive that
would not eject
media because the catch that picks up the leader didn't get completely out
of the way of the tray as it raises off the spindle.  Best of luck.

Thanks
Peter