Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Mutiple schedules

2005-05-03 12:25:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Mutiple schedules
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 11:25:40 -0500
--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

* Keith Wolters <kwolters AT medmarkinc DOT com> [2005-05-02 14:10]:
> How will Netbackup (5.1) handle multiple schedules for a policy in a
> single day?
>=20
> I have daily backups scheduled with a window of 23:00 - 06:00 every day
> but Saturday into Sunday.  I then have weekly backups scheduled with a
> 17:00 - midnight window.  This past Sunday no backups ran (either daily
> or weekly) and I am wondering why they did not run.

For multiple schedules in a policy, the _least frequent_ schedule takes
precedence. That is usually your weekly or monthly schedule. If nothing
ran, check that your frequency is _less than_ what you think you want.
For example, if you want a full backup once a week, set the frequency to
be two or three _days_ NOT one week. This will ensure that the frequency
will allow the backup to run when you want it to.=20

Frequency based backups are fairly powerful, but you can get bit. If
you look at the example above, let's see what happens with a long backup...

Full that starts on Sunday at 3:00am
Frequency is 1 week
Job takes 12 hours to complete

The next time it will be allowed to run is 1 week after the END of the
last successful job, which is now 3:00PM, not 3:00am like you are
expecting. This is probably outside the window you had defined so the
next time it will run is Sunday, the FOLLOWING week. Now, make this
change:

Full that starts on Sunday at 3:00am
Frequency is 3 DAYS
Job takes 12 hours to complete

Same thing happens, but now, the frequency will allow the backup to
occur on any day after Wednesday (3 days later). So Sunday rolls around
it will be after the 3 days and it will allow it to back up.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu