Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Scratch Pool Usage

2005-05-02 14:20:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Scratch Pool Usage
From: errinlarsen AT hmmausa DOT com (Larsen, Errin M HMMA/IT)
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 13:20:28 -0500
Hi NetBackupers,

  I want to know how NetBackup decides when and how to use the Scratch
pool.  Here is an example.  If I have a Policy, let's say policy_foo,
and it uses the volume pool, pool_foo, and pool_foo has zero tapes in
the library, will NetBackup pull one tape from the scratch pool to fill
it's needs, or more than one?  I'm having a hard time describing my
problem here.

  Let's look at It the other way around.  If pool_foo has 10 tapes, and
policy_foo is configured with a value of 4 for media multiplexing, when
the job kicks off, NetBackup will (attempt to) mount 4 tapes, pulled
from pool_foo, and write to all of them at the same time.  If pool_foo
has only 1 tape in it, NetBackup will pull just that 1 tape (and
therefore, the backup takes a lot longer to run!).  If pool_foo has 0
tapes, will netbackup grab just 1 tape from Scratch to write to, or is
it smart enough to grab 4 (so as to maximize the multiplexing)?  Also,
If there is only 1 tape in pool_foo, why doesn't NetBackup grab 3 tapes
from Scratch to max out the multiplexing?

  I hope those questions make some sense.  Thanks in advance for your
answers,

--Errin Larsen