Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] MySQL backups using Veritas Netbackup

2005-04-30 02:12:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] MySQL backups using Veritas Netbackup
From: ida3248b AT post.cybercity DOT dk (ida3248b AT post.cybercity DOT dk)
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:12:39 +0200
Hello Steve

I have for test purposes used a bpstart_notify with mysqlhotcopy which as I
understand it makes a copy of the MySQL database another place in
filesystem. The downside is that it requires more disk but restore is as
fast as you can copy in the filesystem.

If you use the shutdown/startup approach, make sure in fail situations that
the bpstart_notify dosn't rerun before the bpend_notify is finished, I
usally have used .lock-files for this

Regards
Michael

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:37:27 +0100, Steven Jenner wrote
> Hi, I have been asked by a customer to provide a solution to backing up a
MySQL DB on a system running Fedora Core 3. As I have little knowledge of
MySQL I was wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions on best
practises to perform this function and also best way to then restore the DB.
> The customer does not want to dump the data to a flat file format as they
believe this would take a long time to restore, therefore they have
suggested shutting the DB down and then backing it up whilst it is in a
closed state; is this the best way forward?
> If it is does anyone have any suggestions as to whether the Veritas agent
can set off a script shutting down the DB when the backup starts and then
starting it once it is complete.

--
Cybercity Webhosting (http://www.cybercity.dk)