Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] cumulative behavior with a windows backup

2005-04-15 10:53:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] cumulative behavior with a windows backup
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:53:10 -0500
On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 08:51:45AM -0400, Paul Keating wrote:
> I ran a FULL backup of a large windows server on Wednesday night,
> starting aft the regular backups had completed.
> The policy was configured with only one schedule named "Test-Full"
>
> Yesterday, after the backup had completed successfully, I removed the
> "Test-Full" schedule, and added two new schedules called Weekly-Full and
> Daily_Cumumlative, of types Full, and Cumulative Incremental,
> respectively.
>
> Last night, the Cumulative job ran, but backed up 100% of the data on
> the machine......unfortunately, the job was split into 4 streams to two
> LTO2 drives, and hogged those drives most of the night, causing some
> jobs to fail as their window had closed.
>
> Why would these Cumulative jobs back up everything, when there was a
> valid FULL from less than 12 hour before?

The FULL is tied to the schedule name.  If you have a look at the
STREAMS file, you'll see both the policy name and the schedule name.
Create a new schedule, and you kick off a full.  Rename the policy, and
you kick off a full.  Both answers suck...

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org