Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Resolution of my status 54 error code

2005-04-07 15:01:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Resolution of my status 54 error code
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 14:01:31 -0500
--GpGaEY17fSl8rd50

* Rich McGee <rmcgee AT csusb DOT edu> [2005-04-07 09:25]:
> With help from several great and knowledgeable folks on this list, my=20
> status code 54 error has been eliminated.
>=20
> It turns out that the person responsible for the Solaris backup server ha=
d=20
> placed "files, dns" in the nsswitch.conf file,
> and my (failing) client was the only address included in the /etc/hosts=
=20
> file. I removed it from there, and
> things started working again. Odd, because the IP address was correct....

Just a followup to this... We have found that well over HALF of our
network-related backup problems have something to do with name
resolution. You have to be absolutely _sure_ that name resolution works
properly both forward and reverse or you _will_ have problems. If you
think it's set correctly, check it again anyway.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com

--GpGaEY17fSl8rd50