Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup migration from Solaris to Windows

2005-04-01 16:52:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup migration from Solaris to Windows
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 15:52:41 -0600
On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 03:15:27PM -0500, Paul Winkeler wrote:
> My question is this:  What are the best practices around migrating from
> Solaris to Windows while preserving the catalog.  To the extent this is easy
> to do, the added challenge is to upgrade from 3.4 to 4.5.

We went from Windows to Solaris - also from 3.4 to 4.5.  The migration
is *hard*.  There are binary file incompabilities in the databases and
some of these stem from the end-of-line delimiters that are different
between Windows and Solaris.

There are issues in the catalog as well as the volume and media
databases.

The best practise is to not migrate platforms.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org