Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup Catalog offsite

2005-04-01 03:57:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup Catalog offsite
From: tstewart AT nibsc.ac DOT uk (Thomas Stewart)
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 09:57:12 +0100
On Thursday 31 March 2005 06:10, Rockey Reed wrote:
> You are exposing yourself to a potential to have to import and catalog a
> month worth of tapes.  If the only tapes that are going offsite is the
> monthly then you're exposing yourself to the potential loss of a whole
> month's worth of data.  Think of a tornado, which have occurred in all
> fifty states!  For your catalog tape the minimum you need is three: one
> in the library, one offsite, and one in between the two.

I agree, but how do you set this up? We rotate our two catalog tapes on site,
as bpbackupdb likes to only use the configured tapes. I then use this script
to backup the catalog to another tape, which then lives with the offsite
backup tapes.

#!/bin/bash
ID=H693L1
TPATH=/dev/tape.$ID
tpreq -m $ID -d hcart -p NetBackup $TPATH
bpbackupdb -m $ID -tpath $TPATH
tpunmount $TPATH

This seems to work,  but it does not seem the netbackup 'way'. What is the
best way to do this?

Are the catalog tapes that vital for offsite backups. Is it possible to do
disaster recovery of the master server without the catalog tape by using
bpimport?

Regards
--
Tom