Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup Audit script...

2005-03-30 10:42:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup Audit script...
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:42:35 -0600
On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 07:53:28AM -0600, ZIMMER, RANDY K [AG/1000] wrote:
> Here's really what I want.  We fall under the Sarbanes-Oxley crap.
> Every 6 month we have to take an audit of our backups and have the
> customer sign off that everything is OK.  What I do now is run a
> script that does a "bpcllist -L -byclient $Cl |egrep 'Policy
> Name|Active|Include'.  The information can then be viewed via a web
> page. The problem I have is it's hard to get the days of the week the
> backup runs and this is what the customer is looking for.  Just
> because it says the policy is "active" doesn't necessarily mean its
> runs a daily schedule.  Hopefully this is the detail you were looking
> for.

This is actually a case where I think Aptare's StorageConsole does a
really nice job.  What I think you want is not when the backups are
scheduled to run, but actual proof that the darn things did run
successfully when they were supposed to.  A schedule doesn't do you
any good if the backups regularly fail because the server wasn't
reachable or you ran out of tape drives.  Getting historical information
like that out of NetBackup is tough unless you're willing to collect the
information on a daily basis and throw it into a database of some sort
yourself.

With StorageConsole, you could run a Mission Control report.  I just
checked Aptare's web site and they don't have a screenshot of this one,
but it gives you a clear report of the server by day, expanded to
mount points if you want.  If you want proof that /opt/cust2 on host foo
was backed up on Tuesday, February 8, you can get that.

If you just want the schedule, bppllist -U will give you a
human-readable schedule of when things are supposed to run but doesn't
do anything to tell you that they really did.  I would hope that you
have some way of telling your customer that the backups really did run
though.  After all, you could disable the policy next week, leave it
disabled for the next 5 months, turn it back on and show the customer
the policy again and tell him that everything's all right.

bppllist is a goal, not an audit tool.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org