Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backup not capturing all data (Long...sorry)

2005-03-18 11:01:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backup not capturing all data (Long...sorry)
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:01:15 -0600
On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 08:38:58AM -0500, Paul Keating wrote:

> > I've seen something like this on a Unix client.  It turns out that the
> > files were created in the past.  Have you checked the
> > modification dates
> > on the directories to make sure they're not in the future?  Also check
> > the STREAMS file and see what it says for when the last full was.
>
> Will check that first thing today.
> Did you mean they were created in the future?

No, I mean in the past.  In other words, the full would run yesterday,
the file was created today but the date on the file was set to be before
the full.  The incrementals then skipped the file.

> If I do a FULL backup, it shouldn't matter if they were created in the
> past, before or after the last FULL, correct?

Correct.  It was just the incrementals that burned us with this issue.

> > The other thing to check is to make sure that somebody didn't
> > put in an
> > exclude for the directories below this point.
>
> Done....definately not that.

That's the one I would have expected to bite you.  It fits the symptoms
fairly well...

> > I sure made a DBA happy when he created his archive logs in
> > the past (he
> > gzip'ed them up and by default the date on the gzip file is
> > the date of
> > the first file) and none of the gzip'ed files made it to tape...  all
> > the backups completed with a status 0 - it successfully backed up
> > nothing...
>
> The file was gzipped with a past date, but a FULL picked it up, correct?

Correct.  The full was okay but the incremental skipped it.

The only time I've seen fulls skip files is with an exclude list.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org