Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB5.0MP3 on Sol8 with Win2003 clients.. backups stalling

2005-03-09 15:42:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB5.0MP3 on Sol8 with Win2003 clients.. backups stalling
From: pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:42:16 -0500

Oh well...nice to know it's not just me.....not just our specific
config, either.
Damn hard to explain to clients though.
We just trasitioned from CA Arcserve to NB, and we're getting a lot of
"We didn't have this problem with Arcserve".....Luckily for them they
probably never requested a restore from the old system.
At least with NB, if we can get it backed up, we can usually restore it.
;o)

> Yup - it really sucks.  Manually restart the job and it starts to fly.

*nodding*

> I don't actually know how often happens to us since it's just a normal
> backup that we happen to spot running really slowly.

Really? Randomly throughout your environment?
I my case, it's pretty obvious...i get in at 08:00 and there are 3 jobs
running.....the stalled job, and the Vault and Duplicate jobs that are
stalled waiting for this stalled job to complete, so the vault run can
finish....I saw one stall this morning that wasn't behind the firewall,
but the one today is also running the same app that the 4 servers behind
the firewall are running. Coincidence??

> We're seeing this on clients with GigE connections that aren't behind
> firewalls.

Hmmm...if I launch a manual on a newly deployed box and get this 25KB/s
throughput, I can make an educated guess that it's a NIC speed mismatch
(switch port set to 100FD and GigE NIC set to auto/auto) and 95% of the
time, I'm right, but in the case of these servers, that definitely isn't
the case.

> I haven't found the problem yet but it sure be nice to know
> what it is!

If you (or anyone!) ever figures out what it is....please post up!!!

Paul