Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Master migration to new server. 2 masters to consolidate to one.

2005-03-08 19:55:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Master migration to new server. 2 masters to consolidate to one.
From: LuptonD AT starcity.com DOT au (Daniel Lupton)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:55:27 +1100
Hi,

I am not sure about the name change but migrating the catalogue from UNIX
to Windows is not easy if  possible at all. I have attempted this the other
way round (Windows to Linux). We tried to import the catalogue from the
catalogue backup (we knew it would not work but thought we would give it a
shot). We tried to convert the binary image and media catalogue to ASCII,
ftp them to the new server and then import them into the new server. This
failed because apparently the media database does not convert from binary
to ASCII. The only solution for us is to import each tape manually.

As for changing the name, we will be addressing this in the next week or so
in our test environment as we change the new name of our NetBackup server
due to a new naming convention. If you find any tips/info please let us all
know!

Regards,
Daniel Lupton
|  Daniel Lupton | Enterprise Systems and Security Administrator | Tabcorp |
|      Technical Services - Star City | Email: LuptonD AT starcity.com DOT au

|                       Ext: 7651 | Phone: 9657 7651                       |
|              80 Pyrmont Street, Pyrmont, NSW 2009, Australia             |
|                            Star City | Tabcorp                           |

             "Broun, Bevan"
             <brounb@adi-limit
             ed.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

             veritas-bu-admin@                                          cc
             mailman.eng.aubur
             n.edu                                                 Subject
                                       [Veritas-bu] Master migration to
                                       new server. 2 masters to
             09/03/2005 11:39          consolidate to one.
             AM

             Please respond to
             brounb@adi-limite
                   d.com

Hi All

Im looking for information on migration of a 5.1 master server to a new 5.1
master server. They will both be at the same FP release. Advice from
veritas so far says "keep the host name the same" but I cant do this. Any
links to howtos and other hints are very welcome. There are no media
servers and about 20 clients.

Actually it's not that simple. Im upgrading a 4.5 windows data center and a
4.5 solaris business server to 5.1 and then consolidating these both to
windows enterprise server 5.1. So I need to know how to bring the catelog
of one master into another.

The email from veritas support suggests that Im in for big pain.

Thanks in advance.

BB

This document should only be read by those persons to whom it is addressed
and is not intended to be relied upon by any other person. Accordingly,
Star City disclaims all responsibility and accepts no liability (including
in negligence) for the consequences for any other person acting, or
refraining from acting, on such information prior to the receipt by those
persons of subsequent written confirmation.

If you have received this document in error, please notify our Helpdesk
immediately by telephone on 61 2 9657 9797. Please also destroy and delete
the document from your computer.

Copyright Star City Pty Ltd. Any form of reproduction, dissemination,
copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this
document and its contents is strictly prohibited.