Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Read an NDMP image with tar?

2005-03-08 16:37:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Read an NDMP image with tar?
From: william.d.brown AT GSK DOT COM (william.d.brown AT GSK DOT COM)
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:37:20 +0000
As Jann Toole noted, there is no problem in principle reading the tapes
from your NDMP backups using tar, as you said you have set them to use tar
format.  I think there may be a Veritas document on this somewhere.   I
have to admit I've not tried it!   You will want to know the physical
layout of the tapes, I think you will find it using a 64k blocksize.

You talk about using it for DR, so it sounds like you are after "restore
all", so you don't even need to be searching the tapes for particular
files.   I would suggest you make sure you ship listings of what is on
each tape to the DR site, so you know which file system is one each tape.

Do bear in mind that tar format backup will, as far as I understand, only
backup UNIX style ACL information.   The advantage of dump is that if you
are using both CIFS and NFS on a share, all/any ACLs from both systems
will be saved.  This is the same problem as if you back up a Celerra over
NFS or CIFS.

So the bottom line is it should be possible, so go try it.

William D L Brown