Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] log archiving

2005-03-08 12:31:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] log archiving
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 17:31:14 +0000
Im just wondering what people do with logs.

Im running various netbackup versions mostly on unix. Primarily
netbackup 5 with a couple of 4.5's around.

I have my normal policies doing / , /var and then some database policies
or other bits and bobs. I do some offsiting with an Offsite policy on
one customer but have been worried this will be strange and reset file
time stamps causing incremental to be screwy as i back up mostly the
same data. Now i try and go down Inline tape copy to a different volume
pool. Is this the way most of you go?

Once customer i have a log policy with a different tape pool and much
larger retentions. I exclude the log directories from normal backups and
back them up as normal. The problem i have with this is theres so many
locations and exclude lists to watch plus i dont know of a way to
archive to tape things older than a certain time which are no longer
needed on disk from the main netbackup.

What i have done on a another customer is to run a script nightly which
has find commands of log locations and puts the list to a file. Then
invokes bparchive from the client as a user archive and netbackup then
removes the files on successfully completion. Is this the way to go?

Simple idea of the latter way would be :-

#!/bin/sh

 > /tmp/fout
find /opt/IBMHTTPD/logs/ -type f -mtime +30d >> /tmp/fout 2>/dev/null
find /app/somepath/logs/certainlog.* -type f -mtime +30d >> /tmp/fout
2>/dev/null

if [ -s /tmp/fout ];then
       bparchive -L /var/log/netbackup/archive.log -f /tmp/fout
fi

I was wondering what you guys do and was hoping to seek clarification on
having different policies doing incrementals on the same files resetting
backup times etc on the files.

Cheers
Dave