Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 4.5FP6 on RH newer than 7.3?

2005-03-07 15:31:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 4.5FP6 on RH newer than 7.3?
From: veritas2-bu AT jasons DOT us (veritas2-bu AT jasons DOT us)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 15:31:09 -0500 (EST)
I'm upgrading the hardware on my backup server and figure this is a good
time to upgrade RedHat as well.  Currently I'm running 4.5FP6 on RH7.3,
but I'd like to move to RH9, if not ES3.0, but it doesn't look like
Veritas supports anything newer than RH7.3 for NBU4.5.  Has anyone gotten
that running?  On a test server I tried installing 4.5 on RH9, but
check_dep won't recognize anything newer than 7.x.  Even after modifying
/etc/redhat-release (this is a test system so hacks like that are ok) and
getting NBU to install it complains when starting up:

# /etc/init.d/netbackup start
Rebuilding device nodes.
Media Manager daemons started.
NetBackup request daemon started.
Incorrectly built binary which accesses errno, h_errno or _res directly.
Needs to be fixed.
unable to obtain bound socket, cannot find Internet service tl8cd/tcp

it looks like vmd is having a problem:

# ps auxw | grep vmd
root      1527  0.0  0.0     0    0 pts/0    Z    15:30   0:00 [vmd
<defunct>]

Is there a way around this or am I stuck with either upgrading NBU (which
I don't have the money for at the moment) or living with RH7.3?

Thanks.

--
-Jason

-----
Jason K. Schechner  -   check out www.cauce.org and help ban spam-mail.
"All HELL would break loose if time got hacked." - Bill Kearney 02-04-03
---There is no TRUTH.  There is no REALITY.  There is no CONSISTENCY.---
    ---There are no ABSOLUTE STATEMENTS   I'm very probably wrong.---