Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fragment Sizes...

2005-03-07 11:27:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fragment Sizes...
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com (william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 16:27:11 +0000
Well the original argument  was that if you needed to use a disk at any
time, the O/S often had a 2GB file size limit.  That mattered if you
wanted to do D2D backup, or in the rare case of needing to recover data
from a tape by copying the tape blocks to disk.  That is less of a problem
as most O/S can support file sizes > 2GB (but do check!).

An argument for large fragment sizes are that the tape record marks
between the fragments consume space on the tape.  Bigger fragments = fewer
tape marks = more user data on the tape.  I guess the data flow may slow
briefly when it is writing the tape marks.  I believe it is not hard to
work out how much capacity you lose.

However a significant counter-argument, which many sites will find
persuasive, is that the restore speed is also affected by the fragment
size.  In the extreme case, that you don't have a fragment size set at
all, there is just one fragment on a tape.  Any restore has to scan (at
slow speed) the whole tape, reading it until the files required for
restore are found.   With fragments, the tape can skip forward at high
speed to the required fragment (it is just a record to the tape); it then
has to read just that fragment at slow speed to get the files.  So unless
you files are themselves >2GB, you would likely be happy with the 2GB
fragment size.  It really depends on your data, and how often you do
restores, how quick they have to be...vs some improved write speed.

William D L Brown

"Jim Langston" <jlangston AT northeastmedical DOT org>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
07-Mar-2005 14:31

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] Fragment Sizes...

Folks,

I just upgraded my master and media servers from Datacenter 4.5MP5 to
Enterprise Server 5.0MP4.  I've been running Veritas since 10/03 in my
environment and I've always had a 2 GB fragment size.  My infrastructure
is a StorageTek L700e library with 8 LTO2 drives.  My master server
controls the robot and has 4 drives assigned and my media server has 4
drives assigned.

I'm getting conflicting recommendations from Veritas support.  Some say
that 2 GB is too small for an LTO2 drive while others say it is fine.
Does anyone else have a similar configuration?  If so, what is your
fragment size?

Thanks,

Jim