Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] oracle agent only vs. oracle agent + advanced client + vxfs (to get BLI)

2005-03-04 01:36:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] oracle agent only vs. oracle agent + advanced client + vxfs (to get BLI)
From: Charles Ballowe <cballowe AT gmail DOT com> (Charles Ballowe)
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 00:36:33 -0600
I'm somewhat confused as to what benefit the full veritas stack gives
in Oracle backups. I'm trying to justify some costs of going to the
agent for oracle backups and of course the concept of block level
incremental backups sounds nice, but RMAN documentation already
specifies that the incrementals only backup changed blocks. What
advantage is gained by spending 4x as much money for all of the
components necessary to enable that functionality? Does it save more
space in some way? Is it significantly faster? In theory, I'd think,
regular incremental and BLI would back up the same data ... or am I
missing something?

-Charlie