Veritas-bu

Fwd: RE: [Veritas-bu] bpexpdate query

2005-02-25 13:50:35
Subject: Fwd: RE: [Veritas-bu] bpexpdate query
From: tekkdude AT yahoo DOT com (J R)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:50:35 -0800 (PST)
--0-1961028468-1109357435=:80645

The reason for this is that the bpexpdate command and
the vmquery command look at 2 completely different
databases. The bpexpdate command looks at the mediadb
database or media database which is located on all
media servers. If a media server is not decommissioned
correctly by using the bpmedia -movedb command to move
the media out of the old media servers database to the
master or another media server the only way to expire
the tape is to use vmquery -deassignbyid. This is
becuase the vmquery command is looking at the voldb or
volume database. There is only one of these and it is
on the master. This is really just a workaround. By
doing this action you are actually making your
databases out of sync. However in order to use the
tape again this is the only way because as long as the
media server that was removed cannot be contacted the
images cannot expire unless done manually at the
command line. That is why you must use the vmquery
command in this situation.

Thanks,

Jeff Redington

=====
"A wise man once said 'Wherever you go, there you are'"
      -Mike Brady
[...]

--- Eric Ljungblad <Eric.Ljungblad AT CopleyPress DOT com>