Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VxSS and media manager authentication issues

2005-02-18 15:39:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VxSS and media manager authentication issues
From: john.meyers AT wright DOT edu (John Meyers)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:39:27 -0500
  I've got a relatively simple netbackup configuration running 5.1 MP2 on
  a single master/media server (Solaris).  Trying to setup the VxSS services
  primarily to define specific authorization levels for remote console access
  via the native Windows console.  The problem I'm running into, is that once
  I enable the services, I'm having problems talking to media manager.  Such
  as from the command line, if I do

        # vmoprcmd

  it returns,

        not authorized to connect to vmd (126)

  although if I use the 'bpnbat -login' from the command line and authenticate
  with the 'root' userid, the command will work as expected.  Currently, it
  doesn't appear that any of the media manager troubleshooting docs cover
anything
  related to the VxSS configuration (or Access Control).

  For the actual master/media server access control properties I have the
Security
  Services set to 'automatic' as opposed to 'required'.  Since the master/media
  servers reside on the same host with the same hostname, I can't really set the
  master to one setting and the media server to another (e.g. prohibit).

  When I had actually tried this configuration in production, I had number of
  clients backups that would fail (maybe 10 out of 30), claiming that the media
  manager either wasn't running or they couldn't communicate with it.

  So at this point, I'm wondering if there's some way to make the authentication
  or whatever the credentials are that are set when I manually authenticate with
  root remain persistent on the master server?  Or have I missed something in
the
  configuration, or is this possibly a bug?

  Anyway, just wanted to bounce this off the user group before opening a new
  support call on it.

  Thanks,

  John

--