Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB 4.5, VCS nodes, and Oracle BLIBs

2005-02-07 13:09:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB 4.5, VCS nodes, and Oracle BLIBs
From: David Magda <dmagda+vertbu AT ee.ryerson DOT ca> (David Magda)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:09:54 -0500
[ Geez, that was a quick turn-around! :> ]

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 12:53:36PM -0500, Greenberg, Katherine A wrote:
> Have you tried to use the DNS resolution for the vIPs as the client
> names?

The issue is that the client software has it's own idea on what it's
name is. In the bp.conf file, the "CLIENT_NAME" parameter is the
canonical name (?) of the client's hostname according to NetBackup.

If you tell the master server to go to "vIP-host", but client
software answers back with "real-host" as the hostname, then the
backup will fail. If more than one value can be up in "CLIENT_NAME"
that's another possibility (we would just have a script parse the
bp.conf file on vIP change).

Please note that this is a bit of a medium- to long-term concern. If
upgrading to a newer version of NetBackup would solve this issue then
we can probably do that in our next budget cycle. We've lived with
this to date, but it's just one more thing that we have to remember
to do and we'd rather have it done automagically. Of course ideally
we would like for this to happen now, but Reality(tm) may burst that
bubble.