Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] File systems show up that don't exist on Win2K servers

2005-02-04 17:14:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] File systems show up that don't exist on Win2K servers
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:14:30 -0600
--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ

* Bobby Williams <Bobby.Williams AT gtsi DOT com> [2005-02-04 16:53]:
> We are seeing some error 71's (no files in list) on Win2K servers.  When
> we investigate, the errors are occurring on drives (say for example E:)
> that don't actually exist on the server.
>=20
> I have had Win2K admins check there server configs to see if they have
> (or have ever had) the file systems.
>=20
> I can run bplist on the Masters and see where the file systems were
> sometimes backed up, even though they don't really exist.  When I go
> into the GUI on the master to list files for restore, we again see that
> we backed up drives that don't really exist.  There is actually data
> that is getting backed up. =20
>=20
> One particular server showed that the E: drive was being backed up. The
> file listing was exactly like the D: drive (that does exist), except the
> Recycler and the vol sys info don't show up for "ghost" drive.
>=20
> Master is a Sun running Solaris 8.
>=20
> I am using NB4.5MP6.
>=20
> Since all of the Win2K servers are NB Clients, we can't determine if
> this is a Win2K error or a BP error.

Sounds like a leftover from VSP. I'm not sure at what point VSP stopped
creating "ghost" driveletters to back up with, but this was a big
problem for us a while back because the driveletters would get hung up
and stick around, even after the backup completed. Then the next time it
backed up, it would include the new "ghost" driveletter. Bad.

Our problem was created by antivirus software locking the vsp
driveletter so NetBackup could not clean up. The only thing we could do
at that point was reboot the server to clear it up.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ