Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Incorrect storage unit choice while using ITC & storage groups (v 5.0.0)

2005-02-02 11:32:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Incorrect storage unit choice while using ITC & storage groups (v 5.0.0)
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:32:12 -0700
I've got a Solaris 8, NB v5.0 (not patched [yeah, yeah, MP2 is planned])
environment.  When I create a schedule using inline-tape-copy assigned to a
storage unit group, the primary choice in that storage group is being chosen
for the backup's destination rather than the STU for that media server
itself.  The media server has the "MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVE" directive in its
bp.conf file.  Touching the "DONT_USE_SLAVE" file actually causes 219 errors
rather than forcing the backup to the local STU.

For a non-ITC backup on the server, the storage unit assigned to that media
server is chosen.  Convert to ITC and it starts shipping it across the
network to the highest priority server listed in the storage group.

This tech note describes the problem perfectly,
http://support.veritas.com/docs/255235, in v4.5 and says it was fixed in
v4.5 [MF]P3.  Now I'm experiencing the same problem in v5.0 and I'm
wondering if anybody else has this problem (ie: did Veritas reintroduce the
bug?) or if it's just me.

Vx backline support (Australia) has the ticket right now.

-M

  "They have computers, and they may have other
  weapons of mass destruction." - Janet Reno
  Mark Donaldson - SA - Corporate Express