Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] A Storage Migrator (aka HSM) issue

2005-01-26 11:38:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] A Storage Migrator (aka HSM) issue
From: Jeffrey_Dykzeul AT raytheon DOT com (Jeffrey Dykzeul)
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:38:37 -0800
Comrades,

Given the cheap prices for disks nowadays, we exited our HSM environment
back in 2003, moved everything to big & cheap disk arrays and removed the
HSM software from the host (a Solaris server). So far we have been happy
with the move.

We kept a set of the HSM tape volumes on the shelf "just in case", but
their time has passed and we want to recycle them. They show up in the
Media Manager display and I try to delete them as the first step towards
recycling, but I can't because they are "assigned". So them I try to
deassign them with the shell command

      bpexpdate  -d 0  -ev <barcode>

But I get a message that says

      requested media id was not found in NB media database and/or MM
volume database

Yet they DO show up in the MM display. I'm thinking that I can't use
bpexpdate to deassign them because they have a status value of "0x2", which
indicates that they are "Storage Migrator" (aka HSM) volumes. The Media
Manager manual indicates that such volumes must be deassigned by the
Storage Migrator application. Ugh - we removed the application from the
server!

Short of re-installing the application, does anybody know of a hack to
deassign these volumes? Perhaps a way to change that "0x2" status value to
"0x0" so that they appear to be NetBackup volumes instead of Storage
Migrator volumes?

Jeff Dykzeul
Raytheon Space & Airborne Systems