Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup_exit_notify script / snmptraps...

2005-01-24 21:07:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup_exit_notify script / snmptraps...
From: jeffm AT nicusa DOT com (Jeff McCombs)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:07:10 -0500
Gang,

    Is there an equiv to the backup_exit_notify script that provides more
information than just 'client' 'schedule', 'schedule_type', etc?

    I'm still kind of a noob when it comes to this stuff, so bear with me if
this is a dim question. :)

    Some of the backups we do (namely oracle) generate quite a few calls to
the script, and I'd like to be able to figure out which specific backup is
calling it. The same would go for clients that don't use "ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES"
as the 'stuff to backup'.

    What I'm trying to do, is tie this to a snmp-trap and generate traps
with backup status and tie it all into Nagios (yea, there are other ways to
do this, but snmp sounded like fun when I started this project..)

 Since Veritas has been .. Less than helpful with specifics on the
snmp-agent for Veritas products, I figure I'd go ahead and roll myo own.
Besides, now that Symantec owns Veritas, I figure if I bought anything new
from them It'll stop working 12 months after date of install with errors
about renewing my live-update subscription. :)

    So, what I'm looking for, is a way to catch either the specific oracle
backup, or filesystem path that's being backed up along side the standard
'client', 'schedule', 'schedule type', 'status', 'stream id' information (I
prolly missed one in there..)

    I assume that this is a fairly common thing to do, so someone out there
has got to have a few pointers (or instructions..or a tarball.. :).

    Thanks,
        -Jeff