Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Stand-alone drives

2005-01-12 11:02:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Stand-alone drives
From: Bobby.Williams AT gtsi DOT com (Bobby Williams)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:02:36 -0500
When the tape is loaded (assuming that it has been written to before),
you can use vmoprcmd or device monitor in the GUI to see what tape is
loaded (by looking at the recorded ID).

If you are only wanting to keep one copy of the backup, then expire the
tape loaded.  Not the safest or smartest way to do this.

2 suggestions:
1.  Have 4 tapes that are labeled (for human viewing) Week A, Week B,
..,Week D.  Have your policy set with a retention rate of 3 weeks.  Tell
them to rotate the tapes based on the external label.  You can also
write the tape ID with NB by labeling the tape.  Have your backup end
script to suspend the tape at the conclusion of the backup.

2.  Don't use NB to do the backups.  Since you are not managing a tape
library, it would seem cheaper to just use the backup feature of Win2k.
It works.

Bobby Williams
Senior Systems Engineer
GTSI Corp, State and Local, Southeast