Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle RMAN backups fail with status 6

2005-01-07 13:06:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle RMAN backups fail with status 6
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:06:01 -0700
Return code 6 is a generic code that basically means that the RMAN channel
terminated abnormally.  A non-zero return code from the rman script can do
this as will a bunch of other stuff.

There may be an associated Netbackup error that will trigger a bunch of 6's
as well.

For example, a network error may generate an error 41 in Netbackup (Network
connection timed-out).  The RMAN utility will log a "Media Manager Layer"
problem & then kill the backup channels that it's using.  Each of those
killed channels will generate an error 6 to Netbackup.  In this case, it's
Netbackup's fault (or Cisco or whatever - but not Oracle).

Another example might be that the RMAN may come across a corrupt block in
the backup.  This would cause the rman utility to error out and drop all the
backup channels to Netbackup.  In this case, Netbackup will record error 6's
*without* an associated NB error code.  This is almost always an Oracle or
RMAN problem.

Caveat, we did have a problem with the libobk stuff where RMAN would error
out before a successful connection was even made to NB.  In this case it was
a NB problem without an associated NB error code (or even error 6's) but you
do have to work pretty hard to make this kind of error.  RMAN recorded its
rather generic "Media Layer" fault again.  Since you're getting the "6", you
have a channel connection to NB.

So - Start digging logs.  The RMAN script should log stuff, I hope.  The
database extensions log to ../netbackup/logs/dbclient.  The standard
out/error are logged to ../netbackup/logs/bphdb.  Yet more info is logged to
../netbackup/logs/user_ops/dbext/logs.

Good Luck!
-M