Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Dedicated NIC for network backups

2005-01-06 10:11:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Dedicated NIC for network backups
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:11:11 -0600
On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 09:25:28AM -0500, Stewart, Brian C wrote:

> Use the  "REQUIRED_INTERFACE = <netbackup-host-name>" in your
> /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf file...
>
> I personally recommend using /etc/hosts file for name resolution and edit my
> nsswitch.conf file for "hosts         file    dns".

Yuck.  The only entries we have in our hosts files is on the master and
media servers for each other.  Everybody else (about 150 clients - VMS,
Solaris, Windows, Linux, HP-UX) all use the DNS.

hosts files are a maintenance nightmare and should be avoided at all
costs, IMHO.

> DNS and NetBackup do not get an A+ for playing together. On a good day I
> can't figure out where NetBackup gets its IP addresses from.

That's because you're using hosts files :-)

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org