Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Sizing of media by number of tape drives

2005-01-04 12:18:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Sizing of media by number of tape drives
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:18:50 -0600
--Ycz6tD7Th1CMF4v7

* ida3248b AT post.cybercity DOT dk <ida3248b AT post.cybercity DOT dk>
[2005-01-04 18:00=
]:
> Hello All
>=20
> I have tried to find a guide lines for sizing Solaris and AIX media serve=
rs=20
> by the number of attached tape drives.
>=20
> I have gotten a internal work document from Veritas but it dosn't contain=
 the=20
> enterprise tape drives we are using (STK9840 and STK99940).
>=20
> We have 8 STK9940B drives that I want to get streaming.
>=20
> We have 2 AIX 5.2 Media servers and 1 Solaris Master/media server that sh=
ares=20
> these 8 tapes drives, but I would each media server to be able to stream =
all=20
> 8 drives.
>=20
> Does somebody on list have a set of guide lines ?=20
>=20
> or suggestions/ideas ?

We are using Sun v440's with 9940B drives and have found that they will
optimally run just under 4 drives concurrently at about 50Meg/sec. They
will run more, but at reduced speed.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com